Welcome to Finding My Shades of Grey!
My name is Phoenix and I am excited to be starting this project here on WordPress. On this site I will be sharing parts of myself and hopefully aid in raising awareness of what it is like to live with borderline personality disorder (BPD). I also plan to sprinkle in news, book and journal reviews and other information I find on the disorder. I would love for this site to grow to become a resource for those influenced by the illness. I hope to inspire others who struggle with similar issues to talk to people they can trust and to seek treatment.
Here are a few facts about me and my history with mental illness:
- I am 29 years old and live in Los Angeles, California.
- I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder informally around 15 and bipolar disorder type II around 17.
- I have been in various types of therapy on and off since the age of 12.
- I have been on many different psychiatric medications almost consistently since the age of 17.
- I have been hospitalized numerous times due to suicidal attempts or ideation, the first at 14 years of age.
- I am now in a dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) program and am stable on medications.
I am ready to share my story with the world and learn more about borderline personality disorder and mental illness in the process. I have many ideas and plans for this blog and I look forward to sharing them.